Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy Hanukkah, er, Christmas, er Solstice?

The holidays are a bit of a mishmash in my family. My mother and I are Jewish, so we spend eight days lighting the menorah every year. My brother and his wife are Christian, so they celebrate a traditional Christmas. This makes getting together to celebrate family a bit of an issue. We usually pick a day somewhere in the middle of the two holidays, but this year we gathered together after both holidays had passed.

I'm a sucker for all things old-fashioned, so this year I decided to wrap my packages in brown paper, as in, brown paper packages tied up with string. I know, I know. Corny. But the effect was actually quite charming. I set up a winter scene on my mom's old player piano to give the event atmosphere.



I have to say, my mom's new Keurig coffee maker stole the show. But my liquor dispenser wasn't far behind.

Now with the new year rolling in, I have to wonder if my resolution should be to drink more liquor so I can get plenty of use out of the gift. I don't think my mother would agree with that. So I guess I'll drink more coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment